April 16, 2009

DN Column - Economic Inefficiency

The general idea for this column came from Tom Philpott's article "Toward a less efficient and more robust food system" over on Grist. His citations of Jane Jacobs made a lot of sense to me, as I've read Jacobs myself and generally respect and agree with her ideas. Other contributing ideas and research come from Mother Jones (uber liberal), where I found an article by Kevin Drum and a column by Bill McKibbon. No Impact Man had a guest post from Sean Sakamoto which I enjoyed. Finally, Too Big To Fail from Businessweek and Where Obesity Grows by George Will over on Real Clear Politics (uber conservative) both helped.

Economic efficiency not best solution for America

Enjoy!

2 comments:

john said...

Oh noooo! Since when do I agree with you on an economics opinion? Well, now, apparently.

I think you are 100% right about this. "Too big to fail" has been proven to be very unstable. Too much instability gets people hurt.

My only regret is that I have nothing to argue with you about this. Great article : )

Monica said...

Is that a snowball I just saw? Huh. ;-)