August 04, 2007

The Sakyong King

As we sit together in silence in the Main Shrine Tent, breathing in an out, watching the barn swallows swoop among the poles when we are supposed to be watching that spot on the floor in front of us, or not watching it, watching nothing, watching our breath, then I wonder.

"When is he going to arrive?"

"How long have we been sitting here?"

"What time is it?"

"How long is this going to take?"

"Does he realize he's late?"

"I didn't arrive that early, did I?"

"All the teachers are here already, so he should be here soon, right?"

"If he doesn't arrive soon, will they gong for walking meditation?"

"When is he going to arrive?"

Then the gong rings, we stand and bow, hands in anjali. He enters, resplendent in red and gold, climbs the steps and sits. Then he speaks and I forget I was ever waiting. No impatience, no annoyance, no frustration.

The moment is only this.

No comments: